Saturday, June 13, 2009

giving tree

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 10:27pm

Today, at work.

Tania came up to me and asked if I would like to donate, to which I replied, "Donate ?".
She explained that, Luis, one of the hospo team members is graduating from Escondido High School on Wednesday, but he didn't have enough money for his cap and gown, along with other things he needed to walk.

I went to the locker room and checked my bag. My last twenty dollar bill. You know, the one we normally use on gas to get home when we're running low. On food at the end of the day, right after work when we're hungriest. On some new, nice looking ( but cheap ) sunglasses from NYC Sunglasses in the mall. I figured he could use it more than I. I walked back to the front of the house, found Tania, and handed her the twenty. She smiled and said thank you.

Around closing time, Tania gave the envelope to Luis. He had not known about our little fund raiser until that very moment. I was across the room, but I could still see the tears in his eyes, welling up while he was looking down at the envelope, like it was pure gold, shaking his head, speechless. After many tears, hugs, and congratulations were passed around Red Robin, we sent him home, after he clocked out of course.

I figured it would make him happy, but bring him to tears ? That was a little much, I thought at the time. Not that there was anything wrong with it. We proceeded to close shop, sweeping and bussing tables. I was heading back to the kitchen when I heard Yo-Yo ( Joe ) talking about how Luis was the first person in his family to graduate from High School. To receive a high school diploma. Something I definitely take for granted. I was reminded of how relevant happiness can be tonight. Of how some small gesture, can mean so much to a person from a different perspective. From mundane to magnificent.

I couldn't have found a better way to spend twenty dollars if I tried.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment